At Michael Squirrell Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic, Harley St, we use a wide range of integrated medical techniques to find the root cause of your physical ailment.
What is Applied Kinesiology?
Treatment with Applied Kinesiology?
Benefits of Applied Kinesiology
Applied kinesiology, sometimes shortened to ‘AK’, is a practice that is used to determine the cause of illnesses, muscle or joint pain, and other physical or mental ailments. Applied Kinesiology assumes that some physical illnesses can be caused by an energy imbalance within the body’s structural, emotional, chemical, or mental spheres, and these imbalances can be corrected through diagnosis and treatment.
Beginning with Dr. George J. Goodheart’s ‘Muscles: Testing and Function’ 1964 publication, applied kinesiology has been taken up by many different sorts of practitioners, from physiotherapists to chiropractors to alternative health practitioners to GPs.
Applied kinesiology revolves around the concept of muscle monitoring through manual testing. An example would be the Deltoid test. This process involves the patient lying on their back with one arm raised. The practitioner will attempt to push down on the arm, with the instruction that the patient should do their best to resist the force. The practitioner will determine through feeling the muscle movement whether the muscle in the arm is ‘on-line’ (sometimes referred to as ‘strong’ or ‘smooth’).
If the muscle is deemed to be ineffective, it will be referred to as an ‘inappropriate’ or ‘weak’ response. The practitioner will then use a series of muscle movements and manipulations (combined with other nutritional and myofascial, cranial and meridian therapies) to correct the ‘inappropriate’ response.
Applied Kinesiology testing and treatment has been shown to be clinically effective in treating a wide range of health concerns including:
- Allergies – hay fever, sinusitis, asthma
- Arthritis – osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Back pain – sciatica and trapped nerves
- Depression and mood disorders
- Digestive troubles and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Headaches – migraine, tension headaches, facial pain
- Infertility and IVF Support
- Joint pain – sporting injuries, cartilage damage, fibromyalgia
- Learning difficulties in children and adults
- Low energy – tiredness, fatigue, ME
- Men’s Health Problems
- Skin conditions – eczema, acne, psoriasis
- Toxin clearance from the body
- Weight Loss
- Women’s health problems – Period Pain, Fibroids, Hormonal Imbalance, Menopause
X/Ray, MRI and GP/Specialist referral can be arranged immediately if required.
Call us now on 020 3174 2455
Our staff are available to answer any questions you may have.